Photos by Amanda Naylor, PThreePhoto.com

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Synchronicity

I love the word synchronicity, and the phenomenon

My mom, who I am talking about non-stop lately (I know) will probably wonder what this word means, then skip over it, intend to look it up, then forget to look it up, then have no idea what this blog was about anyway.

So for her (and the rest of you) a definition:

Synchronicity
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events, that are apparently causally unrelated or unlikely to occur together by chance, that are observed to occur together in a meaningful manner. The concept of synchronicity was first described by Swiss psychologist Carl Gustav Jung in the 1920s.[1]

My last posting was in regard to finding/doing/relishing in/profiting from doing the work that each of of us was born to do.  In my case (I think) it's writing.  In my mother's case (she thinks) it's creating useful pieces of artwork that make people smile, be it pottery or knitted momentos.  

We spent our mini-vacation discussing our work--our drive to complete it, our desire for it to be respected, and our need to contribute it.  And, today, as I was reading a copy of More magazine, for women over 50, (I look so much younger, don't I?  Fooled you.) I read an article about Barbara Corcoran, who said, "I think my entire career is nothing but one long attempt to prove to the world that I am not stupid."  Well, that gets right down to the point, doesn't it?

The tag of the article is "When Millions Aren't Enough," because Corcoran was a New York real-estate genius who has been called the female Donald Trump.  She sold her self-made company for $66 million dollars to spend more time with her young son.  As a homemaker, although she had already experienced power and earned respect, she struggled with loss of personal identity, and searched for additional work that would fulfill her.

She found it.  You know how?  By refusing to quit and working like h, e, double hockey sticks.  It seems that the recipe for success is the same as it has always been.  


Synchronicity: when what you were just talking about with your mama yesterday pops up in a magazine article today, and you realize that you must be on to something now!

  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment