Photos by Amanda Naylor, PThreePhoto.com

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Let's make some $

I must admit that the ads that Google features on my blog do make me laugh. The dog crates, sinus medications, and rehab offers are relevant enough to my content to enhance the comedic nature of the posts...if you even notice them.

I was in the shower solo again today (which is obviously a really good thing because the quiet, meditative nature of washing ALONE clearly provides me with useful insight)...and I was contemplating my blog, making it successful and profitable, and something that my friend said to me recently: I was telling her how desperately I want approval and respect from my husband for my work with our children in our home. I want him to be proud of me and cherish me, but it seems that he is concerned more with money than anything. She asked me if it would be ENOUGH if he said that staying home and mothering our children was the most important thing I could ever do for us...if being an excellent mother with an appreciative husband would be EnOUGH success for me. I said no. I was shocked by my answer. And I felt ashamed.

Sunday, Rev. Brown was preaching about success and our culture's obsession with it. coincidence?

Clearly, I am not immune. I want to be successful so that I can base my self worth and esteem
on something tangible. I want my parents and husband and children to be proud of me. I want to be proud of me! I wonder how I can not be already, with 2 smart and beautiful WELL NURTUrED daughters. The answer is money...I equate success with money, and I have no money of my own. I want to be self-reliant.

The original purpose of this blog was to empower myself and other mothers. I think I provide a service through comic relief that is relatable, and I am proud of my 1000 reads in less than one month. But for those of you who are working hard and still craving some respect and some $: I hear you. No offense to Google, who I thank for the $8.46 so far, but I think I may have a brighter and more lucrative idea for us, momglomerate!

In addition to the funny posts about my misfortunes and adventures, I want to start using Momglomerate to enhance our power and wealth collectively. I know many of you are trying to bust into the world of commerce...and here we have a medium for advertising and linking and connecting and growing and enriching ourselves! I want to grow Momglomerate. I want to write and make money and make us proud.

You all are doing things in your lives to reach similar ends. I want to showcase the skills of other momglomerates. I want to help them grow their businesses of motherhood. Please let me showcase your businesses...I will review your ideas, goods, and services...and we will help each other. Sound good?

3 comments:

  1. love the idea! so many of us are in the same boat, young, old, middle aged, new moms, empty nesters . . .we need the courage and self respect to branch out and try something new without fear of failure or being laughed at. you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops! i was reading your blog on your site and posted the comment from there . . . sorry Beth said that. Silly, mama . . .!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does take a lot of courage to try to do the thing that we were each meant to do--to make our contribution and our mark on the wider world. It is scary to be so vulnerable...be it publishing writing, producing photographs or oven mitts or movies or sewing. Failure is not an option in this quest for self-respect.

    ReplyDelete