Photos by Amanda Naylor, PThreePhoto.com

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Clean and Green

Update: Almost a month ago, I told you that I was going to start making my own cleaners to save money and, well, THE WORLD! 

Well, I have been slowly integrating these homemade, eco-friendly cleaners as I have run out of my old ones...and, I have been running out of them more quickly than ever with the non-stop cleaning-fest that is having one's house on the market and showing it sometimes multiple times per day!

Currently, I am using:
-vinegar and baking soda to clean my toilets (fizzy and fantastic!);
-vinegar on the windows (stinky but effective);
-water and vanilla steams for the microwave splatterfest (you may be tempted to lick it clean);
-sea salt for baked on crud in oven (who knew?!);
-baking soda and a scrub brush for my sinks (amazing shine!);
-steam and peppermint essential oil for my hard floors; and
-liquid Castile, water, and almond oil for handsoap (not as pretty as my old soap, but who really cares?).

I plan to continue to swap out ALL of my cleaners/soaps/detergents :-)  I have also been trying to be much more disciplined about using washable/reusable cleaning cloths instead of paper towels. 

Please let me know how you are doing with your own green cleaning!

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about the cleaning-fest. My house is on the market for sale also and quite frankly, I am exhausted from keeping everything so perfect for showings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I'm glad someone can relate :-) It is an intense experience!

    ReplyDelete