Photos by Amanda Naylor, PThreePhoto.com

Monday, September 19, 2011

A Hair Off Plumb

Well, it's official: Pretty much my whole home-to-be is now painted yellow; and if a yellow house is a crazy house, then ours is going to be committed!!

At first, it is a little bit shocking.  I'll give you that.  But~ it is a very pretty, very unique, and very cheerful color.  I think that a little extra dose (or SO) of sunshine could do everyone* in my family some good!  *Especially me in the winter...I am such a seasonal affect dysphoric disorder poster-child!

Today the hardwood floors arrived to acclimate to our house.  They are GORGEOUS! reclaimed red oak barn flooring, complete with knots, swirls, and worm holes.  I am thrilled with them; to me, they are the highlight of the house.  They will give our brand-spanking-new house some much needed homey character and charm. 

I can tell that some of the guys who are working on the house think that my bubble is a hair off plumb.  They are used to working in houses that are painted pristine contractor's white--off-white if the owner is really adventurous.  In those houses, if there was an imperfection on the freshly milled and sanded hardwood, it would be a disaster.  Here in my house....the world is yellow-licious and the floors are second-hand.  I actually got excited about the "worm holes" and other *authentic* dings and patinas from the planks' previous lives as a barn floor.

"Perhaps yellow is the favorite color of insane people," they must be thinking.  "And that lady (me!) is exhibit A."

(I am going to try to take pictures and send them to the blog.)

1 comment:

  1. I really want to see the pictures!!!!

    It seems your new house is almost in reach!

    Congrats on that!

    ReplyDelete