Photos by Amanda Naylor, PThreePhoto.com

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Who am I and Why am I Blogging? Well...What Did YOU Do Today?

Who am I?  
(Honestly, if I think about that too hard, I have absolutely no idea where to begin.)  So, here is the most superficial, shortest short version ever: I am Aubrey, the daughter of more loving parents than one child deserves, the wife of postman Greg, and the mother of 7-year-old Alyssa and 11-month-old Brooke.  I have been keeping a friend’s 1-year-old baby for the duration of this school year (he shall remain nameless until I get her permission to share).  We have two indoor fur babies, dogs named Ringo and Hemi, and five outdoor fur babies, horses named (in ascending size order) Forrest, Yankee, Gabhann, Zephyr, and Finn.  We used to have a fish tank with various aquatic inhabitants, may they rest in peace.

Why am I Blogging?
Although I have been rocking my home-based momglomerate since Brooke was born last May, I have struggled with maintaining a positive spirit despite the isolation.  It isn’t that I’m not nailing the momglomerate—don’t get me wrong—we don’t run out of groceries or clean underwear, my house is decluttered, counters clear, Alyssa has her homework done, and the baby doesn’t have diaper rash!  It isn’t that I am bored, because all of you know that there is more than enough “housework” to keep any mama busy.  It is just that I am lonely.  I think of lots of great (well, some are great) ideas, and most days I have two dogs and two infants to bounce them off of.

My mind is constantly working.  I have a lot to say.  Thankfully, I am a trained writer.  My mom thinks that I have a fear of greatness, which may or may not be true.  Case in point, I am writing a series of autobiographical memoirs, but I am totally afraid to publish them…or not be able to publish them.  (I’m not sure which would be worse at this point).  So, a blog seems like a perfect way for me to dip my toes back into writing for an audience.  I don’t have to worry about pitching my writing to an editor and failing.  Blogging is a way for me to share these moments of genius with others who will understand and maybe even appreciate them.

While all of that is true, I must also admit that I’m inspired to begin this blog because I want to be able to better answer this question: “What did you do today?”  The most irritating question in the world and oftentimes fighting words in this house.  I hear it about five minutes after Greg comes home from work every day (to a picked up, vacuumed, 2-dog, 2- to 3-kid household, with all of his laundry done and folded, dinner in the oven, and a wife who still has hay in her hair and mud on her jeans from the horse farm).  Apparently all of that stuff doesn’t count as valid, time-consuming activity.  For a few weeks, I responded honestly when he asked this most irritating question in the world, that I was writing my memoirs.  He made no reply to this, as if I had said my usual, cleaning, laundering, driving, baby-chasing answer.  He thought I was joking.  I’m not joking:  I am a professional writer (or at least that’s what it says on my degree…right beside Magna Cum Laude).  I will write.  I will get some respect.  

Hopefully, I will also get some MONEY! 

(Seriously, I am a freelance writer and editor for hire.  E-mail me!  ...seriously.)

8 comments:

  1. Alight momglomerate! Can't wait for the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to momglomerate!! Right now, in this season of your life, please know that you have my total support!! Too many women rather have other people raise their children so they can be "full-filled." Congratulations to you for finding a way to write, share your experiences, help other young stay-at-home moms, while putting your families needs first.... way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Momglomerate word invention. Clever, Cool & Fitting! And I love you and respect you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, friend, for the love and respect! (See? And I didn't even have to become a lesbian.) I am going to have to blog that one out...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb, thank you for the support! I just know there has to be a way to find complete *full-fillment* at home. I am going to start examining some ways that I can contribute more on the financial end of things...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed, my Jenna-bean! Ready for some sort of Rice Crispy topiary this Easter season?

    ReplyDelete