Photos by Amanda Naylor, PThreePhoto.com

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Drugs

Several thoughts on drugs:

First of all, I still have not had any orange juice.  Woo-woo!  However, for those of you who may have similar problems with the delicious, pulpy beverage, heed my advice: do not try to use Juicy Juice for a quick fix.  Juicy Juice is a gateway drug back to the OJ.  Stay off the juice.  No exceptions.  Trust me here.

Second of all, my mom came over yesterday and was having sinus trouble, so I offered her some of my NyQuil Sinus stash.  You may recall that NyQuil is my runner-up drug of choice (after OJ).  I hardly ever take any medicine, so I am EXTREMELY sensitive.  Therefore, NyQuil is like a tranquilizer for me.  I am really not sure if it ever helps with my nasal symptoms-slash-pain and discomfort because I forget all about them in my NyQuil state of mind.  Anyway, she informed me that it is almost a year expired!  (I told you I hardly ever take any medicine.)  That could explain a lot of things, if NyQuil is like other alcohols and becomes more potent with age...?

And, finally, with OJ (off the menu!) and NyQuil (embarrassingly out of date) both out of the question this morning, I found myself in a very bad state.  I have been having worsening back and neck spasms since Tuesday night.  This morning they were so intense that I was having trouble getting up and down...you can imagine how frightening this is having two clingy infants in the queue for today...  I cannot go for acetaminophen or ibuprofen because I will be nauseated the rest of the day, which is almost as paralyzing as my current neck and back woes.

So, I turned to my trusty oils (essential, that is).  I put a few drops of Lavender into a plain lotion and rubbed it into my upper back.  IMMEDIATE relief...and I was not expecting the oils to be able to touch this pain, so it was not a placebo effect.  I am constantly in awe of Lavender.  I put a few drops on our pillows to help us relax.  I put it in the humidifier basin to calm the babies.  I rub it on the soles of our feet if we cannot fall asleep.  The stuff WORKS.  Ask Greg.  One night, he came home from work and put some drops on his nostrils (?) because he thought it would heal the irritation and redness caused by blowing his nose 300 times that day.  He passed out cold in a matter of minutes for several hours...

(Greg has a habit of using random household products in helter-skelter ways, not unlike the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding who used Windex for all ails.  For example, he had a zit, so he put a thick vitamin E scar cream on it and swears that it sped up its drying out?!  The strange part was, since I break out a lot, he bypassed several acne-specific creams..gels...potions in order to uncover the scar cream...  Very odd, indeed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment