Photos by Amanda Naylor, PThreePhoto.com

Sunday, January 1, 2012

One More New-Year Thing

I was reading my horoscope in the local newspaper.  It said something to the effect of: Your work is taking up a lot of your time and emotional energy.  If you follow through with your dreams, this could be the year that they come true.  I was super-happy to read this.  In fact, I cut it out to tape somewhere for inspiration.  I can't find it now, as evidenced by my ugly paraphrase above, because Brooke can reach my desk now and robs me of my things and then squirrels them away in or under furniture for me to randomly find later...

As I was searching for the scrap and considering my euphoria at it's initial reading, it occurred to me that it is a really generic horoscope.  I mean, isn't it always the case that if you follow through with your dreams, they will come true...for anyone...anywhere...anytime?

Our failings don't occur because the stars didn't align.  They occur because we give up on the dream.  Or we didn't fully form the dream.

I give up on my "dreams" when my reality doesn't immediately (or eventually) match the dreaminess.  I give up if things are hard or if the next step isn't obvious or if I get overwhelmed or if I feel tired or if I'm afraid people will see that I'm not as smart, cool, talented, or capable as I'd had them convinced previously.

My ultimate dream is to do something AWESOME.  For the wider world.  For my family.  For my own sense of self-worth.  I want to find fulfilling work.  It would be a bonus if that work was gainful (in the financial sense).

1 comment:

  1. Doing something AWESOME is always on the top of my list... and gainful work....

    I find that every year I strive to be better, to do more, to be more productive.

    I have learned the great thing about making a plan... you can always change the plan... just make sure you have one.

    ReplyDelete