Photos by Amanda Naylor, PThreePhoto.com

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I Have an Idea...Is it Stupid?

It is no secret that I spend a lot of time fantasizing about doing something (beyond my house) that is good and important and fulfilling and respectable and also gainful monetarily. 

As soon as our house was painted, clean, and unpacked, I started looking for work-at-home opportunities again.  It's an addiction.

I realized that I don't just want to do something that makes us some extra money...although some extra money would be really, really nice.  It has to be something that is "overall good."  (Darn it, that rules out street walking!)  I want to do something that is enjoyable for me and also provides a benefit to others.  Since I don't have the ability to do a large animal rescue (which would be the ultimate!) because of liability issues, I was thinking of helping other moms.  Back to the "MOMGLOMERATE" ideal.

These are tough times for families...parents, children, pets...and we need to band together to make it through (and come out better for it!).  I was thinking of some sort of "swap shop" where families can bring any sort of home goods that they aren't using or have outgrown and receive credits to shop for new things.  Less consignment store and more not-for-profit in nature.  It would be eco-friendly and community-friendly.  If it had a sort of boutiquey, high-end feel, it would be a comfortable environment for any shopper.

Is this a stupid idealist sort of idea?  Does it already exist?  I do know that some women do clothing swaps with groups of friends a couple of times a year...  Hmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Not Stupid.

    Kind of Cool.

    Probably already exists....

    But hey, you could make yours TOP KNOTCH.

    I dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! There is one in the east village in NYC! It is called Jane's Exchange (www.janesexchangenyc.com)-- not to be read "Jane sex change!!!" I don't have anything to swap, so I don't usually go there for baby gifts and the like, but it seems popular, and a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete